This meal is a staple in our house - vegan comfort food at it’s finest. We have it at least once a week because it’s that satisfying and takes less than 20 minutes to make. I discovered brown rice pasta over a year ago and sub it for regular pasta all the time. If you’ve tried brown rice pasta before and didn’t care for it but are looking for a guilt-free way to enjoy pasta, try it again. All brown rice pastas are not created equal. (See below for my recommendation on which brand.)
Trader Joe's Organic Brown Rice Pasta
This meal is great for a quick hearty lunch or savory dinner. The secret ingredient is nutritional yeast, which gives this dish its cheesy taste. Plus it’s loaded with nutrition (hence the name) particularly B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein, which may explain why it’s such a “feel good” comfort food. That and soy free earth balance buttery spread!
The following is for one serving. Adjust amounts to serve more accordingly.
- 1 cup organic brown rice pasta (Trader Joe’s brand), cooked
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 tbsp soy free earth balance buttery spread, or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos (sub Nama Shoyu or tamari sauce)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder, or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 3 tbsp - 1/8 cup nutritional yeast
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Cook brown rice pasta according to directions on packaging.
- During the last 3 minutes of pasta cooking, toss broccoli in the pot boiling water with the pasta.
- Drain pasta and broccoli together and rinse with cold water.
- In the same pan combine earth balance or oil, liquid aminos, garlic or garlic powder.
- Allow butter to melt while stirring ingredients together, then squeeze the lemon into the sauce.
- Toss pasta and broccoli into sauce along with nutritional yeast.
- Once nutritional yeast dissolves, remove pasta from stove and serve immediately. Garnish with red pepper flakes.