This Fiesta Kale Salad recipe came to me towards the end of Om Point's 21 Day Yoga Detox. (I suppose I started dreaming about tasty food combinations and knew that I would have a good reason to celebrate soon enough!) My goal for my very first kale salad post-cleanse was to have it be oil-free. After 21 Days of just juices, it's a good idea to keep things pretty light. Simple fruits and green salads are always a safe bet. Towards the end of last year, I started playing with the amount of oil I traditionally use in my kale salad dressing anyway. My salads were tending towards heavy, especially if I prepped them in advance for friends who requested them at special occasions, and I needed a way to lighten them up. Initially, I started reducing the amount of oil I used. Recently, I decided to do away with it altogether. (Bingo!) This Fiesta Kale Salad is a winner for sure. So, feel free to celebrate whatever life brings with it, be it the end of a fast, a special occasion or the fact that you're doing something incredibly good for yourself.
- 1-2 bunches organic kale (approx. 8 cups of greens)
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sweet corn (You can find organic corn in the frozen food section year-round. I strongly encourage you to use organic corn, as corn is one of the top genetically modified crops.)
- 1 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes (I usually prefer the ones soaked in olive oil with herbs, but you can also buy the dried ones and hydrate them by soaking them in warm water while you prep the other ingredients and dressing.)
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly slice
- nutritional yeast to taste (at least 3-4 tbsp)
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (Nama Shoyu or Coconut Aminos)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup (agave, honey or other natural sweetener)
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic (or more to your liking)
- dash of cayenne pepper
- For more dressing, increase liquid ingredients in 1:1:1 ratio.
- Tear kale into bite sizes pieces and place in a large bowl
- Remove the skin and seed from the avocado and gently massage avocado into kale leaves.
- Add carrots, corn, sun dried tomatoes and onion. Toss until evenly distributed.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad.
- Sprinkle on nutritional yeast.
- Toss until mixed well. Serve immediately.
*Use organic ingredients whenever possible.