Open your hips, build strength in your legs and relieve your low back with Utthita Parsvakonasana(oo-TEE-tah parsh-vah-cone-AHS-anna) or Extended Side Angle Pose.
Vanya starts in Warrior II to set a strong foundation in her legs. We take the pose in stages by placing the forearm on the bent knee first and then if your body feels comfortable, release your forearm and place your hand on the floor behind the foot of the bent knee. Take your gaze up to the opposite arm that extends over your head. Feel the stretch from your pinky finger down to your pinky toe.
Tips for Beginners
- Practice at a wall: Brace your back heel against the wall to maintain alignment
- Instead of touching the hand to the floor 1) rest your forearm on the top of the thigh with the bent knee or 2) use a block outside the front foot to support you.
- Strengthens and stretches the legs, knees, and ankles
- Stretches the groins, spine, waist, chest and lungs, and shoulders
- Stimulates abdominal organs
- Increases stamina
Reduces Physical Discomfort for the following:
- Low backache
- Menstrual discomfort